The Nordic Africa Institute published a series of books on the liberation struggle in Southern Africa and the Nordic countries as a result of the research project 'National Liberation in Southern Africa: The Role of the Nordic Countries', coordinated by Tor Sellström. A total of six volumes were produced. One of the volumes contains interviews with numerous Southern African and Swedish leaders; the others focus on Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark respectively.
While the series on National Liberation and the Nordic Countries, give a unique testimony of the Nordic support, its main focus is on the official support. Therefore, the grass-root movement in Sweden started its own project, the History Project, in order to capture the depth of civil society. Seven books were published in total - one in Swedish.
Other publications on the liberation struggle in Southern Africa and the Nordic involvement can also be found below. All books are available for download as pdf files.
Interesting books for free!
Take this opportunity to acquire books and only pay the postage fee. The Nordic Africa Institute is giving away four titles and the cost depends on how many books you order and where you live. We can’t guarantee that all books will be available; first come, first served. Read more about the offer.
BOOKS AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD
Liberation in Southern Africa: The Role of the Nordic Countries
- Denmark and National Liberation in Southern Africa. A flexible response. Christopher Munthe Morgenstierne (pdf)
- Finland and National Liberation in Southern Africa. Iina Soiri & Pekka Peltola (pdf).
- Norway and National Liberation in Southern Africa. Tore Linné Eriksen (Ed.) (pdf).
- Sweden and National Liberation in Southern Africa. Vol. 1. Tor Sellström (pdf).
- Sweden and National Liberation in Southern Africa. Vol. 2. Tor Sellström (pdf).
- Liberation in Southern Africa - Regional and Swedish Voices. Tor Sellström (Ed.) (pdf).
- A Suécia e as lutas de libertação nacional em Angola, Moçambique e Guiné-Bissau. Tor Sellström (pdf).
Books published within the History project
Find more literature in the nordic africa institute's library catalogue
Use the quick links below to locate titles dealing with topics of interest in the library catalogue, AfricaLit. The lists consist of literature - books and articles - in the form of fiction, non-fiction/factual information and official publications, as well as of other material.
Find titles in the library collections on national liberation movements and:
Download the workshop report
Selected papers from the Nordic Africa Documentation Project workshop, 26-27 November 2009, Pretoria, South Africa. Edited by Chris Saunders. (2010).
The Maputo Connection by Nadja Manghezi (2009)
This book is a result of a project within the Nordic Documentation Project of which the primary objective was to publish a book on ANC in Mozambique. Read more about the book.
Um Amplo Movimento by Lucio Lara
This work consists of three volumes, covering the early history of the MPLA through the notes and corresondence of Lucio Lara. Read more here about this publication.